Do you have plans to lower your ceiling? Lowering a ceiling in your house comes with many benefits. For example, It creates some space in your room. Have you thought of how to lower a ceiling with wood framing? It can be tiresome to replace a ceiling. Instead of demolishing the existing one, you can create a solid alternative a few inches downwards with a new wood framing.
When you are evaluating the height of the new ceiling, remember to account for the depth of the finished ceiling equipment for instance wood paneling. First, you have to remove the one already in place. You can check on the building codes need when dealing with ceiling board installation. Different areas have different requirements for the installation of a suspended ceiling.
There are tips you can follow for you to lower your ceiling without feeling frustrated. Here are the 10 easy steps to lower your ceiling;
1. Clear Wood Framing
First, wipe out the material enclosing the wood framing, for instance, the tiles or drywall. In case paneling remains on the ceiling after you remove the noticeable coverings, you can pry the nails out with a claw of the hammer and take the paneling down.
2. Wall Studs – Wood Stud Ceiling Framing
Look for the wood stud ceiling framing in the whole room using a stud finder. Ensure you mark their location of each.
3. Height of the New Ceiling
The height is determined according to the building code regulations. While at a corner of the room you can take the measurements from the floor and draw a line on the wall at your mark. Have somebody help you hold one end of the chalk line on the mark on the wall. Fasten the other end of the chalk line at the opposite intersection of the same wall.
Get another person to hang the line level. You can level the line by moving to one end of the line-up or down till the dot in the level is between two middle lines on the line level. When the line is leveled up, pull the chalk line firm and then remove the line level. Snap a vertical line on the wall with the chalk line. Do this for every wall to develop a level line in the whole room.
4. First Wall Measurement
Measure the first wall and cut a two by six inches board to fit. Put the bottom end of the board on the first level line. Hammer a nail through the board into each of the wall studs.
5. Next Wall Measurement
Measure the length of the second wall. You can cut and nail the new board to the wall just like you did with the other wall. Continue with the installation of the ledger boards until the whole room has board frames.
6. Ceiling Joists-How to Lower Ceiling Joists
Do you know how to lower ceiling joists? Start by Measuring the length of the joist running across the ceiling. Measure the width of one joist from the top of the ceiling to the bottom of the room. The most common measurements of the joist are six and eight inches wide.
7. Number of Inches to Lower The Ceiling
Add the number of inches which you want to lower the ceiling to the width of the joist. Then get wood boards of the given size.
8. Cutting the New Wood Boards
Cut the new boards down to the same length as the joist. Use a circular saw. Make the same number of joists as those in the ceiling.
9. Hang New Joists- Joist Hangers to Lower Ceiling
Do hang the new joists you cut for the ceiling, near the old joists. Ensure the new joists hangers to lower ceiling line up with the wall stud. Using joist hangers, attach the new joists to the stud with joist hangers.
10. The Paneling
You can install the new drywall panels or put the paneling back over the new joist. Use any cover of your choice for the ceiling.
Benefits of Understanding How to Lower a Ceiling With Wood Framing.
- Easy accessibility of the structural components such as the pipes and wiring materials. The access to these pieces of equipment is made easier in case you need to repair or replace them.
- Enhanced soundproofing. There is a given type of ceiling tiles that are made to provide improved sound quality through reduced sound from above.
- Suspended ceilings Brighten up the interior decor. Your choice of the panels and the ceiling tiles design the functionality of a room through developing a feeling of enhanced brightness or more space. For example, the white tiles light up the room because of their reflective qualities.
- Boost energy efficiency. Suspended ceiling lowers the ceiling heights and then reduces the area to be heated. Therefore this helps lower your energy bills.
- Helps improve hygiene for the humid rooms in your homes such as the bathrooms and kitchen. You can treat a suspended ceiling with antimicrobial solutions to boost the hygiene of these areas.
- Lowered ceiling tiles are available in a variety of the design, colors, and materials to match the desired style and look of the different interiors.
How amazing can it be when you comprehend how to lower a ceiling with wood framing. Lowering your ceiling with wood framing can help you enjoy a reduced workload. Removing the entire old ceiling to replace it with a new one can be tiresome and dusty. Therefore, it is important to understand how to lower the ceiling with the wood framings.
You can begin by removing the coverings on the wood framing. Then, measure the height of the new ceiling, its walls, joists and you can finish by cutting the wood boards, hang the joists, and install the drywall panels. Some benefits result from the lowering of the ceiling. To enjoy all the benefits, ensure you be careful when installing a new ceiling using wood framing. Also, you can hire an expert to help you out if you are worried you won’t do it the right way.